Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Puppy Pillowcase

The middle small fry has a thing for puppies (she also likes babies and Tangled, but when we started decorating her room a year ago she had a fixation with puppies). It has taken me a while but I finally got around to making her a pillowcase. It is a good thing that I waited cause a couple of weeks ago a good friend came over to make pillowcases for her boys and showed me how to make something much cooler than what I was imagining in the first place. So I shall share her knowledge with you.

Materials needed: 3/4 yd fabric
1/4 yd contrasting fabric
7/8" double wide bias tape (or folded stripe of fabric about 1" wide)
(the width is just the width of your fabric, I held up another pillowcase and got a general idea and then promptly forgot the measurement I took)
Pin together fabric, right sides together with bias tape in between.
Sew 1/2" from edge, being sure to catch all (preferably in a somewhat straight line)
Roll up longer fabric inside shorter section.
Pin (making sure not to catch the longer fabric section in the seam).
Sew along original sewn line. Pull center roll of fabric out. Admire hidden hem, and iron.
Then just sew sides and bottom together to make it look like a pillowcase. I used a french seam to hide all of my seams cause I don't like fraying edges.
Align CenterNow the small fry has a pillowcase to match her room.
(The bone shaped pillow was a project from a while ago. I just sketched out an over-sized bone, cut two pieces out of fleece, sewed together, and stuffed)

No comments:

Post a Comment