Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Valentine Upcycling

I had a pair of pajamas that I loved. They were exceptionally comfortable and covered in hearts- what's not to love. Unfortunately, they finally became too loved and were worn and torn beyond the point of repair. So instead of throwing them out, like any normal person would, I cut them up and made a Valentine's shirt for the little Monkey. And while I was at it I figured she could use a matching flower bow as well.
I took one of those Faded Glory flag shirts (this one was proudly proclaiming the year as 2009) and drew a large heart on it with a fabric marker that covered the current decoration. I then cut out a piece of my pajama fabric that was larger than the heart I had drawn and pinned it on the inside of the shirt. I pulled out my sewing machine and did a zigzag stitch following my outline (if I was really good, I probably would have found a pattern or something to follow, instead I just free-handed it). After I had finished my zigzag stitch, I carefully cut out the red fabric, being careful to not nick the heart fabric underneath. Quick and easy Valentine shirt that I didn't spend an extra cent on, The flower bow I just followed the directions I had found for this bow. Unfortunately, that link has now gone private. If you want to Google it, the official name is a Kanzashi petal fabric flower. They are pretty easy, and turn out cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment