Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Welcome to Hogwarts (Part 1)

I just got back a couple of days ago from my stint as Rita Skeeter covering the first Hogwarts House Tournament for a Cub Scout Blue & Gold Banquet (that is sort of like the Tri-Wizard Tournament, just with the four different houses competing). It was a fun event to be a part of. I got a few pictures while things were being set up on my camera (the rest of the time I had my mother-in-law's camera so I will have to get those pictures).
The students arrived at Diagon Alley.
 Recognize Isis from our Batman pictures? I believe in reusing things:)
 After they went through the wall at Diagon Alley, they were sorted and then went to Gringott's Bank to pick up some Galleons. From there they could look at the owls at Eelops Owl Emporium. This was a last minute addition- basically I had all sorts of lofty plans, but didn't plan on getting sick. I was useless for the week proceeding the festivities.
 This was the other last minute addition- the Apothecary. 
 Basically it ended up being jars filled with fun things with potion labels attached. The water marbles (blue, green, and clear in the pitchers) were fun for the boys to touch.
 Madam Malkin's was the next official stop. The boys got their house ties and dressed up and got their pictures taken. The pictures were printed and passed out before the end of the evening.
 Then they went to Flourish & Blotts where they got their spell books. If they completed a rune inside the book before dinner they could earn an extra point for their house.
 Then through the Platform for the Hogwart's Express.
 I know, slightly out of order- some liberties had to be taken to keep food items out of the carpeted areas. At the Leaky Cauldron there was Butterbeer and Pumpkin Juice.
 Here it is before the beverages were brought out.
 At Olivanders the boys got their pretzel wands (dipped in chocolate and covered with sprinkles).

 This was the great hall. That ceiling was quite the engineering feat. It took the longest to set up, but added some nice atmosphere.
 These were the house point containers. They worked perfectly.
 On of the activities was Care of Magical Creatures. The boys were blindfolded and had to pick up as many creatures as they could in a short time. If they got a snake it counted as negative two.
 The Slytherin House table
 This was the head table
After all the games (I believe Slytherin won the House Cup, but it was pretty close, as in paper-rock-scissors close), the boys went to potions to make their ice cream concoctions.
It was a well attended event, and I believe everyone had a great time. I will try and get the other pictures to post.

6 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!! I don't know how you do all of thisw. its amazing!!! great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me NOT to tell you about our Blue and Gold/Pinewood Derby this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, we need to plan a party together!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that we definitely need to do. Know any October birthdays:)?

      Delete
  4. How did you do the ceiling?!? I've been struggling for almost a year trying to figure this one out. It's in the cultural hall as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We taped together black garden cloth to form the square, then held it up with strong fishline. There is fishline checkerboarding the whole thing. Get the strongest line you can.

    ReplyDelete