Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pirate Extraveganza- The Invitations

I should probably put a disclaimer on this series of posts- I have been obsessing over this party for probably the last two months. My husband has already banned me from ever going this "over board" on a party ever again. Needless to say, I have loved almost every minute of it. Pirate is such a fun party theme with so many ideas available and merchandise galore.

Invitations
I liked the message in a bottle look for invitations. I started by creating an invitation in Word. I found a fun font, Pieces of Eight, that I used on most everything. On one side I had the who what where why info, and on the back I made a map to our house. I printed the invitations out on a linen paper, cut the edges with a deckle blade and then burned the edges.
The invitations were rolled up and tied with a red ribbon.
 I put them in IBC root beer bottles that I had cleaned out. I contemplated putting some sand in there, but decided some mothers would prefer that I not let their child dump sand all over the floor. I tied on the names with some jute twine.
Invitations that needed to be mailed I put in envelopes I printed from here.
Two weeks before the party, for Family Home Evening, we dressed like pirates and personally delivered the invitations. You can get a lot of strange looks dressed up and ringing doorbells in April. Apparently that is the way to go though. Of the 12 kids invited, only one wasn't able to come, and I heard from more than one mother that their child spent the day (or days in some cases) carrying around their invitation like a prized treasure.  It is high praise to be included in a child's cherished possession collection. I feel honored. Tiger and Kitty had a fun time passing out the bottles. Monkey slept through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment