Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Treasure Map Cake

I was all excited when Tiger chose a pirate theme for his birthday. Finally I was going to get to make one of those fun pirate ship cakes I have seen everywhere. But no, he wanted a treasure map cake. That is OK, I found one I liked here. The day before the party I started to work on it. I made the marshmallow fondant for the first time (I used the recipe here). Having never made it before, I was a little nervous, and added a bit more powdered sugar than I think I should have (the recipe calls for a 2 lb. bag- I think I only should have used about 3/4 of the bag). Fortunately in the comments I had read that someone suggested kneading in shortening if it is too dry. I tried that and was able to salvage my fondant. It actually worked in my favor, because the dryness added to the old parchment look. After making the fondant (it says it needs to sit to cool down, but I think if I had wanted I could have used it right after I made it), I started working on the cake. This one was strawberry with a strawberry preserve filling. I made some buttercream frosting (recipe here), tinted it blue, and frosted the cake. I put a scalloped border around mine, just to give it a slightly finished look. And then I went to bed. By the next morning, Grandma was here and fortunately helped out on the cake while I was working on setting things up for the party. She rolled out the fondant and (from the back-side) sprayed gold food paint around the edges. After she got it all on the cake, I used some food markers to draw the map. Not wanting to spend the time molding different pictures for the cake, we used candles (like these ones). The "X" was red licorice. Around the bottom of the cake we layered gold coins and crushed Nilla Wafers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment