Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

A Soupy Tale

Once upon a time I had a baby (OK, this may have happened a few times). But on this occasion, my sister came to visit and made me this soup. She got the recipe from someone who brought her this soup after she had a baby. Just listening to the ingredient list doesn't sound all that appealing, especially if you aren't a tomato-based sauce person, which I am not. But somehow, someway, this soup ends up being exceptionally tasty. As in, eat three bowls and debate a fourth tasty helping. It is also a sneaky way to get vegetables into children. Curious what the recipe is yet? Not to worry, I shall share.

Hamburger Soup
1 lb hamburger, browned with an onion (I added some garlic cloves too)
1 large can V8 cocktail (I just poured some from a bottle until it looked good)
2 cans cream of chicken or cream of celery
1 lb shredded carrots
Garlic Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine ingredients and simmer on the stove or in a crock pot for several hours.

How is that for simple? I put mine in the crock pot in the morning and and just ignored it all day. I probably had it on for 7-8 hours. I usually serve this soup with some crescent rolls. They have the same post-partum background. I am pretty sure that our family shall be forever grateful to to wonderful person who originally brought my sister dinner that one night. I didn't have time to make the rolls yesterday, but this is my go-to recipe for rolls when I do make them.

Crescent Rolls

Combine:
¾ cup lukewarm water
3 tbsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
Mix and let rise.

In a seperate bowl combine:
1 ½ cups water
¾ cup butter
½ cup plus 1 tbsp sugar
3 tsp salt
Melt and mix together in microwave 2-3 minutes.

Add:
1 can evaporated milk
3 eggs, beaten
Yeast mixture (from above)
10 ½ cups flour (it usually takes more flour than this- just slowly add until you have a good dough consistency)

Butter your pan. Roll out into a pizza shape, spread with butter, and cut like you would a pizza. Roll into a crescent shape starting from the biggest end (stretching as you go). Let rise until double and bake at 375 for 14-20 minutes.

Most of the time, I cut this recipe in half. I also use milk instead of evaporated milk. If I ask my husband to make the rolls, I know they will end up being at least half whole wheat, and they are tasty that way as well.
Anyway you do it, it is a good way to end a day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to burst the bubble and say that this is actually my mother-in-laws hamburger soup recipe that she makes quite often. The crescent roll recipe did come from an after-baby meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stand corrected. And all these years I thought the recipes came together from the same source. Much thanks to your mother-in-law for her tasty recipe!

    ReplyDelete