Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Fishnets- Perfect for serving Goldfish

 When I decided to serve my Goldfish in fishbowls, I thought it would be cute to use a fishnet to scoop them out. Real fishnets would have been too big, not to mention a little pricey. Fortunately, while I was thinking about how to make my own fishnets, it also happened to be Easter time. The egg dippers for dying Easter eggs looked like they would be a perfect fit, and they were. After Easter I went and snagged up several boxes of the dye kits on clearance to make my nets. If you don't have the luxury of waiting till after Easter, I think crafting wire could be bent into the same shape.
 I traced circles onto some netting I already had. The circle will need to be at least twice as big as the net you want to make (I think that is the lid to some of those Gerber baby bowls that you can find in the baby section).
 Tie your string to the dipper.
 Ignoring the dipper, stitch a nice gathering stitch around the top of the circle of netting.
When you have gone around the entire top edge, gather the net in so that it is about the same size as the dipper, making sure it is gathered somewhat evenly. 
 Wrap the netting around the dipper, and using a whip stitch, go all the way around so that the net is securely attached to the dipper.
Tie off and admire your handy work.
They actually scoop up a surprising amount of fish. And look cute. Not bad for a few minutes time.

1 comment: