Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Pirate Extravaganza- The Food

 I know the pirate party was several months ago, but I realized the other day that I had never gotten around to posting a few things, so please excuse my negligence. If you have been sitting in suspense wondering what on earth I served my guests (particularly the smaller crowd, since I don't think I took any pictures of the family party after the friend party), I shall finally put you out of your misery. So without any further ado.... the food.
The main course was hot dog boats. Cute, but also so simple a pirate captain can grill them up, with one hand tied behind his back (ok, maybe it wasn't tied).
For the sails, I cut out some trapizoidish shapes with my Cricut (George and Basic Shapes cartridge, but only because I was cutting everything else out with my Cricut and it was available). I punched a hole in the top and bottom with a small hole punch, and ran a skewer through the sail. The pirate flags at the top I took from the cupcake printables here. I glued those to the top and had quick and easy boats.
 Because I like boats I also served cups of blue jello ocean with whipped cream waves, with pirate ships (cut out with the Paper Dolls Dress-up Cricut cartridge). I taped toothpicks to the back of the pirate ships to get them to stay in the jello.
 In addition to the cake, I also had cupcakes. I found some pirate cupcake wrappers at Jo-Anns that also had the flag toothpicks. I just frosted the cupcakes and rolled the tops in the crushed Nilla wafers to look like sand and go with the treasure map cake. To make them a little more exciting I made a cross out of licorice to put on each one.
 Not a spectacular photo, I know, but what pirate party would be complete without Goldfish? I found the fishbowls at the dollar store. I made the labels for each bowl to distinguish them. My favorite part of these is the fishnet I made to scoop out the fish. They actually held a surprising amount of fish, not to mention the fun factor of fishing for goldfish.
For the beverage, I served sea water (can you tell I had way too much fun with my printer for this party. I also got a lot of use out of my 2" circle punch). I wrapped some scrapbooking paper around little water bottles and glued the circles on the front. I failed to get a picture, but I also served Pirate Punch. That was just some Capri Suns with a label printed out that said "Pirate Punch" with a skull and crossbones. I just printed it out on some of that adhesive labels you find in the computer paper section at Walmart.

If I remember correctly, for the party which involved the adults that evening, I made some Jamaican Jerk chicken (kabob style), as well as some roasted potatoes, also kabobed (because skewers seemed like a good pirate party food. We also had some bbq pulled pork sliders that were held together with some sword shaped toothpicks, as well as the mango salsa with chips. Not to mention lots and lots of IBC Rootbeer in the glass bottles. There may have been more food, but that was a few months ago, and my memory has never been that spectacular. 

No comments:

Post a Comment