Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pumpkin Soup


Pumpkin Soup
4 TBS margin or butter
1 onion – chopped
1 med. Leek (If the onion is large, then I leave out the leek)
4 cups pumpkin
4 cups chicken broth (I like to use Cream of Mushroom Soup)
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. curry
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. ginger
¼ tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup half & half (I just use evaporated milk)

Sate onions and leek in butter. Put everything except the half & half in a pot and cook. Add half & half just at the end. This can all be done in a crock-pot too. You can serve it this way or put it through a blender to make it smooth.

I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, complete with her notes. I don't particularly care for mushrooms, so I just use the broth (she doesn't replace all 4 cups with the mushroom soup, just one can worth). I have heard rumors that the blended version came about because she had some children that wouldn't eat it if they knew it contained onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment