Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Another Dress

A couple of weeks ago I had a slight dilemma on my hands. It was Sunday, and the little Kitty was trying to wear something to church that wasn't going to work (I actually don't even remember what it was, but most likely it was something belonging to her little sister). How to get her to change without great tears and crankiness? So I decided to take some of the leftover fabric from the nursery dress and make Kitty a skirt- new clothes are always preferable to whatever she is currently wearing was my theory.  And I was correct, as soon as the skirt was done she happily shed the other outfit.
Sewing doesn't get much easier than this- it is three straight stitches (unless you french seam it, and then it is four). I took a strip of fabric, I am going to assume that it was 44"-45" wide, cut it into a rectangle (I held a tape measure up to the girl, and decided that 17" was how long I should cut the fabric out so my end strip was 17"x44". That measurement can be adjusted based on the intended recipient). I sewed the short sides together to form a tube, and then on the top side I stitched a casing for some elastic, and on the bottom side I put in a narrow hem. Instant skirt.
It worked. I had no trouble getting the girl to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment