Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Reading Nook

This is a project I was quite pleased with how it turned out. I have been wanting to create a nice little reading nook for a while. I have all sorts of grandiose ideas of how I want it to be. Two problems- space and money. The ideas in my head were not working with my current house floor plan, and I am saving up for a fence. Extraneous home items just were not in the budget.
The other morning I was feeling a little impatient and decided that I wanted my reading corner NOW. I cleared out a corner in my living room and went to work. To make the area more distinct, I brought in a rug that has been in the garage for the past couple of years. I took the doors off a cabinet and brought in all the children books I could find. While I was putting them on the shelf I came across some Sesame Street flashcards that had been mailed as a sample. I stuck those in some clearance frames that have been lying around since at least last October. Instant wall art. For seating I grabbed the deflated beanbag chairs, and stuffed in some worn pillows to give them a little more life. I also brought in some ottoman storage things I had picked up at least three years ago from Target.
 I had wanted some wood letters that spelled "READ" but wood letters get a little pricey. Then I saw (on Pinterest of course) that you could iron letters onto your walls (here). Perfect. So for a grand total of $0, I was able to get my reading nook from things I already had around the house. It took a lot more ingenuity then if I had been able to do what I originally had planned, but it has completely been worth it. The kids have been spending a lot more time with their books. (When I get around to it, I have every intention of covering the cardboard box that is actually hiding the power cords to the TV and DVD player under my puzzle tote. It could happen.)

Along the same lines, while I was re-doing my living room I made a storage tote to put all the kid's illustrated scriptures in. Also free. I took a box, cut it to the size I wanted, and hot glued fabric on it. I then ironed on some letters to make it a little more exciting. It helps make things look a little more organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment