Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mulligatawny Soup

This is not my image, it was taken by mommyluvs2cook of allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/cook/10446581/), but it looks rather a lot like mine did. Mine was darker because I substituted beef bouillon for chicken broth, and I added a lot more apples.

It's not even my recipe, it too was taken from allrecipes.com, more specifically from Lise P. (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mulligatawny-soup-i/), but I wanted to share it because it's a tasty and hearty soup.

As I mentioned, I added more apples and used beef instead of chicken bouillon. If I had chicken bouillon, I would have definitely used it instead, but if you've only got beef, don't be afraid that it's going to ruin the soup. It definitely won't. I also forgot to buy celery and completely spaced adding the rice, so if you don't like those things, leave them out too. Also, rather than heating my heavy cream, I just added it to the soup at the end. I'm not sure what difference it makes, maybe none. This recipe doubled (minus rice and celery but plus an extra apple) comfortably filled my 5QT. stockpot.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 apple, cored and chopped
  • 1/4 cup white rice
  • 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half - cut into cubes
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 pinch dried thyme
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream, heated

Directions

  1. Saute onions, celery, carrot, and butter in a large soup pot. Add flour and curry, and cook 5 more minutes. Add chicken stock, mix well, and bring to a boil. Simmer about 1/2 hour.
  2. Add apple, rice, chicken, salt, pepper, and thyme. Simmer 15-20 minutes, or until rice is done.
  3. When serving, add hot cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment